Introduction : Robo India USBASP Programmer.
USBasp is a USB in-circuit programmer for Atmel AVR controllers. It simply consists of an ATMega8 and a couple of passive components. The programmer uses a firmware-only USB driver, no special USB controller is needed, and that makes it low cost USB programmer.
Important features are:
- Works under multiple platforms. Linux, Mac OS X and Windows are tested.
- Jumper for 5v supply.
- Header Pin to provide easy interface for various ISP header pin.
- SCK option to support targets with low clock speed (< 1,5MHz).
Install USBASP as simple usb device.
Download :Drivers for 32bit and 64 bit
Here is a wonderful guide on how to install USBASP on windows 8. click here
Uploading hex file to AVR Microcontroller:
To transfer the Hex file to controller we require a software to access USBASP. There are lots of softwares available on internet.Software which we find easy to use with all features is Prog ISP.
Download: ProgISP 1.7.2
Note: no need to install install Prog ISP just unzip the file and click on progisp.exe executable file to launch the software.
Hardware Set up:
Connect USBASP to your AVR microcontroller board using 6 pin connectors, where 5v is optional, if your board is already powered by some external 5v supply than remove the jumper(vcc on/off).
Prog ISP will show error in case:
- Supply is not provided to target controller.
- wrong connection to Target microcontroller.
- USBASP not detected.
Note: keep the Jumper (J1) always connected.
Getting Started with Prog ISP:
- Select Chip: Select the microcontroller for uploading Hex file.
- Load Flash: This tab is used to select the Hex file,Click this tab to open browse window and select the Hex file.
- Task Window: Select the operation which you want to complete. basic operation required to burn hex file are shown above.
- Auto: Click on this tab to start burning the hex file along with all the operation checked in task box.
- Fuse: This tab is used to open Fuse window as shown below, where you can read or write low and high value of fuses.
Steps to Upload Hex File:
- Install USBASP Programmer.
- Connect Hardware.
- Select microcontroller in ProgISP.
- Load Hex File.
- Click Auto tab to transfer the code.
Uploading Arduino Bootloader to AVR chip
for regular updates follow us on: